According to the Telegram blog, users can now move their chat history from WhatsApp to the Telegram app. The content you transfer will include your conversations and videos, photos, and other attachments.
This article focuses on import WhatsApp chat to Telegram. You can import chat from other messaging apps like Line and Kakotok using the Telegram Import tool.
How to import personal Chats from WhatsApp to Telegram
- To import chats to Telegram, open the conversation window of a WhatsApp contact on your iPhone.
- As shown in the screenshot below, tap on the name and then select Export Chats at the bottom.
- WhatsApp will now ask you if you want to include media for export. If you also wish to export media, tap on Insert Media. If you are good with text messages, select Without Media.
- As soon as you choose one of these options, the share window appears. From that, choose the Telegram app. Telegram will now urge you to decide where to import messages.
- Telegram now prompts you to choose where to import messages. You can select it from the Recent Messages list or use the search box to find the contact, then select “Import.”
- The Telegram will now start importing your messages. The process can take a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the message import size. Furthermore, if you choose to import media too, you will have to wait a little longer. You must keep the application open until the import process is complete.
- As you can see below, Telegram has successfully imported messages from WhatsApp contacts. There is an imported tag to identify imported messages to indicate that it was imported from another platform.
How to import group chats from WhatsApp to Telegram
As in private conversations, the tool helps you with group conversations. Coming to group chats, it automatically organizes and sends messages to contacts within the Telegram team. If there is a message from someone who is not a member of the Telegram team, the app will show the message with that person’s phone number. You can import group chats to Telegram in a similar process as in private conversations.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I move all messages from WhatsApp to Telegram?
Yes, you can move all WhatsApp messages to Telegram using the new chat import tool.
2. Can I import media from Whatsapp to Telegram?
Of course, yes, you can share text messages, emojis, images, GIFs, videos, voicemail, and location. However, it does not support the import of stickers, animated stickers, and documents.
3. Can I import messages from other messaging apps?
Yes, you can. In addition to WhatsApp, the migration tool works with Line and Kakaotok.
The Signal app was working on expanding its features and bringing popular WhatsApp features. You can also know about how to use sticker packs in Signal app on iPhone. For the convenience of the user, Telegram has added this tool to help the users make a smooth transition. If you plan to switch to Telegram, you can do it now without interruption.